Monday, November 24, 2008

MY MIND TO ME A KINGDOM IS

.
My mind to me a kingdom is,
Such present joys therein I find,
That it excels all other bliss
That earth affords or grows by kind:

Though much I want which most would have,
Yet still my mind forbids to crave.
No princely pomp, no wealthy store,
Nor force to win the victory;

Some have too much yet still do crave
I little have and seek no more.
They are but poor, though much they have,
And I am rich with little store:

They poor , I rich , they beg  , I give . 
They lack ,I leave ,they pine I live.
I laugh not at another's loss;
I grudge not at another's gain;

My wealth is health and perfect ease;
My conscience clear my chief defence;
I neither seek by bribes to please,
Nor by deceit to breed offence:

Thus do I live; thus will I die;
Would all did so well as I!  
                                              - - By Edward Dyer      ( Only selected lines )

No comments: